This week in AP Music Theory:
1. MHSAMTh.1 Sight Singing Next Test: Friday, November 20th.
Prepared: #41 thru #43
Unprepared: Mostly Conjunct motion, Diatonic Triad Leaps and Major Keys
NEXT TEST: Thursday, November 19th. Part-writing in Root Position and 1st Inversion.
Chapters 5 and 6.
2. Homework: MHSAMTh.4 and MHSAMTh.8b Compositional and arranging based worksheets out of the Kostka and Payne Workbook. Adding Tenor and Alto parts to a 40-voice texture in the style of the common practice period.
3. New Skill Concepts below:
In Root Position: Double the root (the bass)
In First Inversion: Double anything BUT the leading tone
In Second Inversion: Double the fifth (the bass)
For final triad: You may Triple the root and have one third (omit the 5th)
In Root Position: You may double the root and omit the 5th.
In any other inversion: All chord tones must be present.
1. No Parallel P5, P8, or P1
2. Avoid Direct 5ths, 8ves, and Unisons
3. Observe all spacing rules: No more than an octave between adjacent upper voices
4. Avoid Voice Crossing and Voice Overlap
Ms. Buonamici has a Master's Degree in Music Theory from Colorado State University. She is aware of her uber-geeky status.